4/20/2019

A Man Called Ove: Audiobook Review

Dork score: 9/10

What a wonderful surprise! This was a last minute find before my long drive to work. I have since learned it was made into a film, which I promptly reserved at my local library. Apparently Tom Hanks is producing and possibly staring in an American remake of the film!

If you've seen the film, On Golden Pond, imagine a younger, widowed, Swedish Norman (played by Henry Fonda) - and you get the main character of this charming novel, Ove (oo-va).

Ove is an older retired gentleman, who lives by himself and keeps a strict daily routine. He's very stubborn, judgemental, brutally honest - even snide at times, but means well despite his outward abrasiveness. After his wife passes away and retiring, he loses his purpose in life - that is, until a foreign couple move in next door and disrupt his life.

The book's chapters are pretty linear, but contain several disjointed sections that either tell a random story from Ove's life, or a flashback to when his wife was still alive. It was unique, but eventually got a bit repetitive that each chapter's title began with, "A man called Ove" + title of chapter. I suppose this was made worse by the fact that I had to listen to the voice actor say this each time. The voice acting was very good, so I can't complain much.

Ove is a bit old fashioned, but has an open mind. He is not racist or homophobic, but he is weary and blunt. I was surprised to see how he reacted to the gay character in the story. He called him, a 'bender' - which I'm assuming is Swedish slang for gay (not straight, hence 'bend'). I'm unsure if this is an offencive term, but he meant no malice by using it. He's not emotional or sympathetic, but he does care - just in his own special way, if you happen to appeal to approach him in the right way. He's a very self-reliant, handy man, and will judge you without remorse if you are unable to do something that he views as common sense or something you should have been taught as a kid.

I can see myself and some of my family members in Ove. I have my principles, like him. I'm also pretty stubborn when it comes to certain things. He'll only ever own or purchase a Saab, I've only ever purchased Hondas - and we both judge others for driving other types of cars. Other than being able to related to the character, it's a sweet story about a grumpy old man who who eventually opens up to certain individuals that stumble their way into his life - and give him the  purpose he needs to keep living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/