2/24/2009

Limits of Human Kind

I was at a party a few days ago and I found myself playing the ever popular Guitar Hero with some friends. I was a bit drunk at the time so I wasn't playing as well as I could have if I were sober, but I wasn't doing too bad. On the song selection screen, I paused on one of the songs towards the bottom that sparked a memory. A few summers ago I played this game non-stop for weeks. I mastered the lower levels quite fast. As the songs got progressively harder, I spent more and more time trying to get the technique right. When I got to that one song though, I hit a brick wall. After a few hours of playing the same song over and over again and becoming increasingly frustrated, I shut the game off and went for a jog. I would come back to that one song the next day, the day after that, and so on until after about a week when I finally was able to complete it. I did a little celebration dance and then continued on to the next song. I did worse on this song than I did my first attempt on the previous one. Figuring it would take me 2 weeks this time, I decided to find something else to do with my time.

You start to wonder, is there a point at which there is no hope for improvement? On my jog I thought back to a concept I learned about back in high school algebra. You have a distance you have to travel, but you can only go half way each step. You get considerably closer with each step, but you'll never actually get there. You might never get there, but you'll also never stop getting closer. This is the idea of a limit. Putting this in real-life terms, the idea of that limit would equivalent to absolute truth, which is the goal of science.

I personally have a hard to time believing humans have the capacity to uncover such a truth. Perhaps such a truth doesn't actually exist. Maybe instead of the first example of cutting something in half indefinitely, think of the graph of X squared. It doesn't have a limit, but at the same time the rate at which it(X) increases decreases over time forever. It could be said that the limit is infinity.

It would seem that generally, for things to make most sense to us, everything has a beginning and ending. Thinking about the theory to the beginning of the universe: the big bang, something is essentially created from nothing. At least that's how most folks understand it. According to the theory, the universe was initially infinitely condensed. Now, I'm not even sure what that means, but it would seem to me that according to the theory, the universe was not created from nothing. Now, if there was something at the beginning of time, then that really wasn't the begging at all. Anyway, I've since adopted the idea of the infinite. I don't believe there was a beginning, and I don't believe there will be an end.

Getting back to my pessimistic view that humans are extremely limited to how much they can discover about the universe, I'd like to bring up the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. I first encountered this idea in the book by Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time. It describes in great detail the observer effect, which states that in order to measure something, you must touch it. By touching it, you are moving it, therefore rendering the measurement inaccurate. Related to particle physics, the uncertainty principle suggests that it is impossible to know both the exact location and momentum of a particle at any given moment.

This then gave way to quantum mechanics, which attempts to describe and predict the movements of subatomic particles, which appear to be random. Now, I have absolutely no knowledge of quantum mechanics, or even particle physics for that matter, but from what I know, I believe their movements only appear random because we don't have any real way of measuring them accurately. And no matter how sophisticated our equipment gets, I don't believe there's any real way of avoiding the observer effect. Our human measurements will forever be inaccurate. With our current problems of measurement, there might still exist even smaller particles that we aren't aware of, smaller than that of electrons, protons, and their constituents, a vast variety of quarks. Perhaps matter is infinitely small.

There's a saying that the journey is more important than the destination, which I think might have been Einstein. To me this is true because absolute destination doesn't really exist. The idea of a destination is important though because it provides us with a direction. Living day to day with the idea that you may never reach the end-all goal of a destination, you can find comfort in the evidence that you can continuously improve.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Life is definitely interesting. The idea that life is a journey, not a destination has been following me around recently!

    It isn't an idea I used to live by, being such an overachiever, always striving towards some type of goal... It's one I find beautiful that I want to live by nonetheless.

    Anyway, this idea has been discussed in grad courses, in the Tao of Pooh which I just finished reading... the movie, "Peaceful Warrior" and now your blog!!!

    Also, the more we know, the more we know what we don't know...

    Socrates said it better though, All I know is that I know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Liss!

    Welcome to blogger :)

    I know next to nothing about Taoism, so I think The Toa of Pooh will be a good place to start. I mean, just look at cover art! hehe

    I'm a fan of that quote, but it's a bit of a contradiction. If he really knows nothing, then how could he possibly know that he knows nothing?

    I suppose my version would be: All I know is that I am infinitely ignorant. Although I think that already belongs to someone.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I know, the more I know that I don't know so much after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you consider Death to be a destination of an absolute kind? I suppose I could concede that there's no way to know what happens when one dies and perhaps it is not an absolute destination. However, based on what makes sense to me right now, it seems reasonable to say that Death is in fact the most absolute of destinations. The one which provides the framework for everything else we do, whether we acknowledge that fact or not. And yes, I suppose this makes the journey even that much more important but perhaps only in the context of the absolute destination of our non-existence, which then makes the destination more important. hmmm...I'm feeling dizzy with circular logic. ;-)

    I'm not one for cliches like "it's not the journey, it's the destination" or the "all who wander are not lost" kind of stuff. I'm not saying they aren't true...they can be. They've just been reduced to trite drivel that goes on t-shirts and mugs.

    Your algebra example is fun to think about. I once saw a kinetic sculpture exhibit at MIT with one really cool piece. It involved a crap-load of gears with sizes varying in such a way so that the drill bit at the end against an object would finally turn in some unbelievably long time. I wish I could remember more about it. I saw that probably 10 years ago and have never forgotten it. Pretty f-ing cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't subscribe to these cliches either; I just like to talk about them from time to time. "Follow your passion, "life is a journey not a destination"; they are certainly fun to analyze. I actually got a magnet for my birthday a few years ago that says, "Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.", which also goes along with the subject at hand.

    About death being an absolute destination....I remember watching a science show on tv a few years back and he was describing how eventually we'll understand why we age and be able to combat the effect by way of either drugs or hardware.

    I used the term absolute destination a bit loosely. I meant it to be more related to the inability of the human race to find the underlying secrets of the universe.

    I don't think our eventual demise shapes how we live, at least not me. I don't spend all day thinking: "According to averages, I only have about 58 years of life left in which to accomplish my life goals". I can see your point though, I'm sure many people do this. I suppose I try my best to live in the moment. Doh! Yet another cliche.

    That contraption sounds pretty neat, I'll have to visit MIT someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea that humans may be able to combat aging and push death ever further away using drugs and hardware raises lots of really interesting philosophical questions. Fun to think about.

    I also don't spend all day thinking about life span statistics and life goals (see quote at end of comment). I guess I meant that as I've gotten older, I've wondered more often if our mortality affects us deeply at a subconscious level. I would be curious to see if your perspective on this topic changes as you age. My work with the aging and elderly population as well as some Hospice experience suggests that this is often the case. It has also caused me to examine questions about existence and death at a younger age than many people do, I think.

    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

    There's one for you, from one of my personal heroes.

    Thanks for your interesting posts and comments. I look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After thinking about it a bit more, I suppose there are some things I do because of the knowledge that one day I will cease to exist. So I will retract my statement: "I don't think our eventual demise shapes how we live, at least not me". It does, but to an extent.

    The first thing that came to mind is my diet. I've been a vegetarian for about four years now. My main reason is to prolong my life, as well as the day to day healthy feeling. It's a survival mechanism.

    I suppose when I first responded, I was thinking in the context of ambitions and aspirations. I often spend a lot of time thinking about death, usually at night, and sometimes to the point of tears. I couldn't really tell you why I cry. Perhaps the answer lies our instincts to survive and our inability to stop our inevitable demise.

    I will stay up till 3 a.m. just thinking about that 'fact', and the things I want to accomplish before that day. I'll get very inspired and motivated while laying there for a few hours before I fall asleep. when I wake up, it's just like any other day. All of that built up emotion from the previous night disappears.

    All this talk of death gets me thinking about the move, The Bucket List. I now wonder if I would act any differently if I were to contract some life threatening disease that left me with only a few years, or even months to live. 60 years, 2 years, 2 months, is there really any difference?

    Anything I do now while I'm alive is not going to matter when I'm dead. Sure I may affect others in my short stay on earth, and maybe I'll even be remembered by generations to come. But to me, none of it will matter, because I won't exist.

    I'm living for today while taking actions to increase the chances that tomorrow will come. I live to enjoy life, find happiness, and fulfillment. If I had 2 weeks left to live, you would think that I would be in a mad rush to find those things. Imagining myself in such a situation, I think I would be doing the same thing I've been doing every day. Would I blow my life savings? Probably. Would I go to Wendy's every day and order a spicy #6 with a Sprite for lunch? Probably. Would any of these things get me closer to achieving fulfillment? Probably not.

    So in that sense, the idea that my existence has a limit will affect how I live. But what it won't change is my quest.

    I suppose I rambled a bit and got a little off topic, but hopefully some sense is to be made of all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s.

    I agree 100% with that quote.

    Oh, and there's no need to thank me. If anything, I should be thanking you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/