2/22/2020

The Year of Less: Audiobook Review


Full title: The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store

Dork score: 7/10

This was a last-minute selection as I was heading out the door on my way to work. I was initially disappointed because the title is misleading. People have given this book a terrible review because of this. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and listened to the whole thing.

This book is a memoir with tidbits of financial advice sprinkled in. She does actually provide a list of things you should do at the very end of the book - most of which I agree with.

I was expecting the book to go into more detail on how she saves money. She conducted an experiment called, 'the shopping ban'. Instead, she spent the majority of the book talking about herself - her lovelife, friendships, etc. It wasn't a bad book. There are some very good pieces of advice if you don't mind sitting through all the fluff. I treated it mostly as background noise during my long drives to work, but paid close attention when she started talking about methods to reduce spending.

Her blog/website likely has more financial advice and is located here: https://caitflanders.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/