12/08/2008

Fleeting Memories

While cleaning my things out of the attic of the house I used to live in, I came across a few pieces of paper folded up into an old notebook. After unfolding and reading the first few lines of what was written, I realized it was a story that I started to write in high school. I sort of regret writing it in pencil, for it was barely legible. I always liked writing in pencil; there's something about how the lead feels against the paper and how easy it is to correct a mistake. After four years though, the lines were somewhat faded and blurred together.

I didn't get much accomplished up there; I'll definitely need to make a second trip. I was easily distracted by old school work. It's infinitely fascinating going down memory lane. Imagine reading something you've written though, and having no memory of it. I sat there staring at an old book test I took elementary school on The Catcher in the Rye. It had my name on the paper and it was my handwriting, but I don't remember the book at all. Apparently I knew a lot about it, I scored a 100% on the exam. Re-reading my answers to the questions about the book though did nothing to dig out old memories. It was scary.

It's almost as if my life is being written in pencil...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:56 PM

    I used to love writing with pencil when I was younger, but then I turned to pens in my maturity. A pen is much more refining and motivating than the easy error-fixing of a snubby rubber eraser. Because you cannot easily remove the markings of ink from a ballpoint, you are encouraged to do it right the first time; to perfect your style.

    What you have proven with your story is that the pen is mightier than the pencil, because the written word of the former can outlast that of the latter. Were those words in pen rather than pencil, your nostalgia might have been even more strange; perhaps even more terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree! Nowadays I only really use pencil for math and the occasional sudoku puzzle.

    What I was scared about though is that I don't remember the contents of a book I read. I remember the story I wrote in pencil perfectly well, as I put a lot of thought into writing it. Also, the latter took place much more recently.

    It's funny that you mention the preservation of ink, because that's what I was going to discuss next, as it relates to memories.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:41 PM

    My pleasure; looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/