3/30/2009

25 Things

1. I like to walk around my apartment in complete darkness.

2. Every time I see myself in a mirror I make a habit of saying, "hi there!" - which always makes me laugh.

3. I can't fall asleep without some form of a cover.

4. I'm the only person I know who doesn't own a cell phone.

5. My favorite thing to write with is a standard wooden #2 pencil.

6. When I was younger - when I found someone I was attracted to, I would always join their first name with my last name to see if they sounded good together.

7. In one of my biology classes in High School, my instructor passed around a taste test for everyone in the class to sample. We were discussing genetics and the test was to illustrate the presence of dominant and recessive genes. My instructor explained that there should be at least one or two people in the class who wouldn't be able to taste the sample - they would be the ones with the recessive gene. After putting the sample in my mouth, I didn't taste a thing. When the instructor asked the people in the class with the recessive gene to raise their hands, I kept both of mine on my desk, tightly clasped.

8. I still own my R.O.P.E. shirt which I got in elementary school - which I wear to sleep every other night.

9. My favorite color is yellow, and I have no idea why.

10. I simultaneously hate being alone and in the presence of most people.

11. My favorite childhood pastimes involved the original Nintendo - playing Tetris with my mother and Baseball with my father.

12. I once cried in class because I didn't get student of the month.

13. I remember the first and only love letter I wrote. I spent an entire day on it - of course considering I was only ten years old, that was a long time to ponder anything. I worried about it so much, I even asked my mother for advice. I wrote in the letter to this girl that I would change for her. My mother told me to take that part out - and I said I would, but I didn't. The next day in school I was too nervous to hand deliver the letter, so I asked my best friend at the time to do it for me. He said he would do it, so I gave him the letter. We decided the best time to give it to her was just before recess. So when the time came, I left my friend and went to hide on the side of the building while the rest of the kids had fun. I met up with him afterwards and he said he delivered it. But I never heard back from her. She never even looked at me. I spent the rest of that school year feeling like I didn't exist in the eyes of my peers. Like I didn't matter. Thinking about it now, I'm wondering if my friend actually lied about delivering the letter.

14. I've never been really sick.

15. I sometimes lose track of what someone is saying while figuring out why they're saying it.

16. If I ever feel the need or want to raise a child, I will most likely adopt. The film Martian Child gave me the idea.

17. Some of my most intimate conversations have been with people I have never met.

18. I used to hate wearing jeans. Almost every day it seemed I would fight with my mother as she forced them on me. Stiff and uncomfortable against my skin, my whole day would be absolutely miserable.

19. I never understood the saying, "I could care less". I always say, I couldn't care less.

20. I almost crashed my car once because of an epiphany that popped into my head.

21. Some of the best feelings in my life have occurred during night-time summer jogs across town.

22. I take my time to appreciate almost anything I encounter. Say I only need milk and eggs from the grocery store, I'll walk down every single isle just for the sake of doing so.

23. I was born in North Carolina on the 23th of January, and my parents named me Jordan, Michael(middle name) without any knowledge at all of the famous Michael Jordan who went to college in NC, whose jersey number is 23.

24. I taught myself how to juggle in one day.

25. Every day I try to do something slightly different than the previous day. Instead of brushing my teeth in the bathroom, I'll brush them on my couch. Instead of eating dinner on my kitchen table, I'll eat at my desk. Instead of trying to write these entries sober, I'll try doing them drunk. Meanwhile, all day I'll throw around 'what ifs' in my head... what if I was blind.....what if I was an orphan....what if, what if, what if, what if, what if tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of my life, and I have found reason to live on.

2 comments:

  1. interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan,

    This was an fun trip into randomness about you. There's a lot here that resonates with me. As for the no. 2 pencils...my reason for enjoying "real" pencils, is the sharpening aspect. I love the shrick, shrick, shrick, sound a pencil makes in one of those small, hand held sharpeners that catches the shavings inside. And writing with a really sharp pencil just feels good.

    My husband doesn't own a cell phone.

    Also...the snow on my back deck melted completely as of Friday, April 3rd. Just FYI. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/