12/23/2017

Stuff Matters: Audiobook Review

Dork score: 8/10

Did you know diamond and pencil lead (graphite) are made of the same element, carbon? Did you know graphite is more stable than diamond despite diamond being harder? These are the kinds of things discussed in this quick intro to material science.

It is delivered by a mix of direct descriptive science and mildly interesting story telling. I could do without one drawn-out story in particular and I would have enjoyed it just the same - if not more if the author had included more science - or at least more interesting tidbits.

 I wish it was longer, but I like it for what it was probably meant for - just like 'Astrophysics for People in a Hurry' by Neil deGrasse Tyson, which I also enjoyed. Perhaps the author should have titled this book, 'Material Science for People in a Hurry'.

Are you remotely curious about the materials around you? Do you have a small amount of time on your hands? I'd recommend your read or listen to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/