12/03/2017

Weird in a World That's Not: Book Review


Dork score: 6/10

The title of this book is misleading. It's what initially attracted me to read it - but I ended up enjoying it anyway, just not for the reason I thought I would.

This book is a great career guide for anyone. Some of it is geared toward a female audience, but as a male it's nice to have the female prospective. Very little of this pertains directly to misfits, f*ckups, or failures - it's just communicated by someone who didn't have the 'traditional', linear path to success. 

After having read the book, I am judging it by its title. I feel slightly let down by the lack of insight from a self-proclaimed misfit. I expected more WEIRD from this book; what I got is more of the same, standard career advice.

On a side note, let me question this statement: "Weird in a world that's not". Well, I think the world is weird. There is no normal. Having this in mind, the title of the book now fits everyone.

Overall, this is a good, honestly written career guide by a woman who struggled and fought to get where she wanted to be. I especially enjoyed 'pick your own adventure' style chapter. More than a few of these sections reminded me of situations I've been in myself as we all others I know. It was also great to have the perspective of a person in a managerial position.

I'm glad I read it, despite the slightly misleading title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/