2/04/2019

Neverwhere: Audiobook Review

Dork score: 6/10

Overall, I enjoyed it. The story wasn't particularly interesting, but the characters were mildly intriguing. I feel like this was part II of a three part saga, but it's a standalone book. The highlight for me was that the audio book was read by the author - and much to my surprise, he's quite the talented narrator. I can't say for sure that I would have finished it, if it wasn't for the superb voice acting. Then again, even an incredible book read by an annoying voice is hard to tolerate.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel. I don't recall exactly how I came across it. I believe I was just browsing around for an audio book on the Minuteman Library Network to fill my time during my long commute to work. Someone recommended another novel of his, American Gods; so the author's name rung a bell.

It's characterized as an 'urban fantasy'. Apparently it was originally a TV series on BBC in 1996 and then later 'novelized' by its creator in the same year. The version I listened to was actually a re-publication from 2006. It took me a while to finish since the story didn't grab me; I had to renew it twice - but I did actually finish it, which says something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/