4/28/2020

Luxury, Vanity, Excess, Greed

[I drive a $90,000 Range Rover to get a $5 Starbucks coffee every day.
When I'm going out on the town, I can tell time with my $8,000 Rolex.
All other days I'll use my Apple watch because I need yet another screen in front my my face.
I've got the latest flagship top-end $1200 iPhone with the earpods that make me look hip.

The latest $3,000 Macbook Pro laptop to browse Facebook.
I carry my things in my $2,000 Louis Vuitton hand bag.
I have a 6 bedroom house, 1 vacation cottage, 3 cars, and 1 boat.... because why not?

I've made it. I've achieved success.
I worked hard. I deserve all of this.
I deserve to be happy. I'm happy....

Do I need all this? No.
But, I wanted it. And I can afford it.
You only live once.
I'm in control. I have the power.
I determine my own fate, my own happiness.]

Why do these luxury items exist?
Because people have the surplus money to afford them.
Because these luxury items seem superior to similar products. People prefer superior items.
People like to feel special. They like to treat themselves.
To some, these products give the feeling of accomplishment and status.

Often the luxury product is not superior. Often it's just a vanity item. Like a Rolex.
A Rolex is just a watch. But it is made out of a 'precious' metal like gold.
Gold is 'special' because it's relatively rare on earth and people seem like the look of it.
Being made out of gold doesn't add any benefit to the item's purpose.

Let's talk about cars. Who really needs a Range Rover? For the price, you think it either has the ability to fly or has the ability to convert to a boat. Who really needs a Lexus or a BMW, for that matter? They may have a slightly more comfortable interior (leather?), but the overall purpose of the vehicle is not extended. It gets you from point A to point B. It doesn't even necessarily last longer. In fact, I believe cheaper vehicles tend to have a higher reliability. It may even go faster, but what's the point when there are speed limits?

Why do you need a fancy and expensive hand bag? Why not get one less than half the price? It serves the same purpose. Sure, maybe you can afford it. Good for you. But, have you ever stopped to consider that extra $ could be used for something better?

Do you really need a Macbook Pro to only browse Facebook and write emails? Do you even need an Apple product? Perhaps a Chromebook would do. (I agree there are some who can actually take advantage of this product like actual developers)

Imagine all you could do with the extra money you save by not buying unnecessary luxury items.

Why are all these items so desired? Perhaps it's brainwashing. Gold is just a yellow-ish metal. Diamond is just a super hard and sparkly rock. A Range Rover is just a motor vehicle. Starbucks is just a coffee. You can make your own for a fraction of the price.

Do you really need to feel superior to others? Is it that important? Do you really need these things in order to feel accomplished?

What about your neighbor Joe who is struggling? He goes to work every day. He works 2 jobs in fact. He's not lazy. He's just not as fortunate as you. He seems happy, though when you talk to him. But you can tell he's worn out. He deserves a break, but he won't get one. He doesn't make enough money at one job to pay his rent.

But, you can afford a $500 hand bag. And a $90,000 vehicle. And a $5 coffee every day which comes to 365 * $5 = $1,825 for the year for coffee.

This is how it is. Some are more fortunate than others. You're okay with it apparently. You continue your habits knowing there are many others just like your neighbor Joe. Your poor neighbor Joe.

Your poor neighbor Joe..

2 comments:

  1. WOW...it's as if you took my feelings about this subject and wrote them out. I feel the SAME way about the race to be noticed, accomplished, and successful. These people will NEVER be happy. I feel sorry for them. They're running in the wrong race in my opinion. Personally, I measure happiness by a car that starts, children who are healthy/happy, a bag gifted to me to carry my items, great press pot coffee at home. I have never wanted grand things in my life. I've recently said to some, that I'd be a good rich person because my needs are simple and the extra would go to a good cause and THAT race to help the less fortunate would hug my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't respond sooner! All my comments were apparently hidden until I approved them. It is very interesting to try to understand someone who is wealthy and the decisions they make. Some I'm sure feel entitled to buy anything they want, regardless of the price. To them, they feel they worked hard to get where they are and they deserve these things.

      But, everyone is different. Even if I were to become 'rich' one day, I never opt for vanity items. I'd invest the money. If I had excess, I'd donate it to charity or support family members who need it more than I do. Looks like we are similar is this respect!

      Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/