1/23/2008

My Birthday

So today is my birthday. I've decided to spend it by myself; thought maybe I'd drive around town, stop by some coffee shops and/or libraries, to think a bit. Exactly a year ago I believe I was asleep in my dorm room after a heavy night of drinking, dreaming, and dreading my early morning calculus class. Now I'm here at a Panera Bread, out of school, writing about whatever comes to mind. I was born twenty two years ago. Seems like a long time, but it's really not in the grand scheme of things, naturally. Some people graduate college at my age; me, I've barely completed two years. I'm honestly not worried about it though. Once I do complete whatever it is I end up completing, I'll probably be doing the same thing for the rest of my life, so what does it really matter if it takes me several more years.

I guess I've been at a lack of things to write about lately, mostly because it seems that I've been writing in circles, covering the same damn topic, only with different words, not really getting anywhere. Of course I probably would have expanded on whatever it was that I was trying to get across if I had gotten some responses. I wasn't expecting any though, of course, but it is the main reason why I'm posting blogs on the internet. Perhaps if I was talking about sex, I'd get more attention. It's not that I want or enjoy attention, I'm just curious to see if anyone feels the same way I do. Curiosity of course is often confused with the verb: to care.

So instead of running in circles, I think maybe I'll start posting movie reviews, since I watch at least five movies per week. And I'll start right now. I'll probably only write about the ones that I liked, although I might throw in a comment or two on how much I disliked a movie I had high hopes for. First up, a dual review!

Adrift in Manhattan ***.5

This is one of those films with several separate, yet intertwined stories, although not as many as Paris Je Teim, which all come together at the end in a dramatic easter basket with a bow on top. Although a bit unbelievable at times I really enjoyed this film. I am almost convinced that movies need an unbelievable aspect to them in order for them to be at least somewhat successful. I honestly don't feel like writing a summary of the film so I'll just point out what I liked about it. I suppose the main thing I liked about it was the silent communication and understanding that went on between the two main characters. A lot of the story followed a quiet young photographer taking photographs in a park who stumbles across a somewhat somber woman on a bench about fifty yards down from him. As he starts to take photos of her, he becomes somewhat obsessed, and eventually follows her home. And now I'm doing exactly what I said I didn't want to do: write a summary. Anyway, he takes pictures of her in her home from across the street and captures emotional moments with his camera and later sends them to her anonymously. Although frightening, these pictures point out to her exactly what she feels mostly strongly about, and eventually leads to her solution, hence the silent communication.

Ira & Abby ****

Yet another film set in Manhattan. I am glad I make it a habit to watch the entire movie, despite it having a horrible beginning. I know many people who will turn the movie off because it started off bad. The beginning of this move was so very cliche and unbelievable, "oh my god I can't believe I rented this movie" kept running through my head. As the story progressed though, I liked it more and more, and by the end up of it, I had a smirk on my face and continued to think about it throughout the ending credits. As I listened to the music that played whilst I mused, I was reminded of the Ratatouille soundtrack and the wonderful story that went along with it. I enjoyed this film for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the underlying themes: marriage is meaningless, and love (unconditional/true) is just an illusion. Cold hard theme's indeed, but true..in my opinion. Although these ideas are somewhat depressing for those who haven't accepted them, they were portrayed in a very very hilarious way. For example: every single character in the film saw a shrink and towards the end of the movie all of the characters and their shrinks came together in one room and had a maelstrom of a discussion, throwing around random insults and subtle bouts of philosophy in an attempt to explain their feelings. Although still early, this is my favorite movie so far in 2008.

It's funny how I viewed these films so closely together because they share many things in common. First off, the most obvious, they're both set in Manhattan. Second, and most impacting to me, each film had a character with the same viewpoint on life: you can be perfectly content living life with a mediocre job that pays the bills, without really having any major plans and/or life goals. Much like a monk, you can find happiness leading a simple life, and that is what I identify strongly with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/