2/28/2009

The Blogsphere



After a little early spring cleaning, I came across a comic strip my mother cut out for me a few years ago, as seen above. I was always very quiet and I used to blog often because writing was my strong form of communication. So you can see why my mother thought this comic was funny. I found a similar one on the internet, which can be seen below. I think the purpose that they were created was to poke fun at some people's need to jot down every detail of their life and post it on the internet.

Especially nowadays, communication between parties such as child and parent is reduced to light chit chat, while most emotions and feelings get expressed through a vast social network known as the internet. It's no longer enough to just experience something and share it with a few close friends. By posting your thoughts on the internet, you're exposing yourself to many more people, and so you're likely to get much more feedback. And we all love feedback.


4 comments:

  1. I've seen that second comic before. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I'd comment on is your statement that posting thoughts on the internet exposes them to many more people. I think the hope for that to happen is strong and the possibility that it might happen exists. However, I think for most of us who put anything up in a blog it may just help maintain the fiction that we have an audience. For many people the act of writing is sustained and enhanced by the idea that there an audience exists, however small it may be. That seems to be true for me, except for my personal journal. But even there, one could say that I'm the audience in that instance. A favorite sticker/shirt/magnet I saw floating around the internet said something like "Blogging: Never have so many said so much about so little read by so few." That cracked me up and made me think of my own blogging activities.

    Here's an article I read the other day that I found interesting. I think you might enjoy it. Here's the URL:

    http://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/399/computing_the_cost

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, it's funny that you say, "I think for most of us who put anything up in a blog it may just help maintain the fiction that we have an audience", because I I've maintained this blog for a few years without ever having any followers. I always compared it to fishing, the possibly of a bite is always there but not guaranteed.

    I also keep a separate and more personal journal. I never really felt like my own audience though, except perhaps if I'm reading something I wrote as a kid. I can see where you're coming from though. After reading something you've written yourself, you can almost perceive it from objective viewpoint, and that it part of the reason you can make more sense of it afterward.

    Indeed blogs and online journals vary greatly in terms of their content and substance, but I think no matter what someone writes about, it's beneficial to them and their possible viewers.

    That was an interesting article and definitely outlines how I feel about the internet. He even used the same term I did, "Blogsphere". I swear I thought I made that up. I definitely don't like the idea that by writing for free, you bolster the marketing campaign put out by the website you use. Of course I don't think the stuff we write is seen enough to make a huge impact. If these were videos instead of blogs on youtube, I'd feel a bit different. If I were to ever become more popular, I would consider upgrading to wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are cool !! the first one was funny though!! Ye sand I agree..Internet is strating to annoy me because of this...though I find it hard to stop !haha

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/