2/15/2009

Follow Your Passion

Whenever contemplating a career path, you always get someone who tells you to follow your passion or dreams, while others will say to stick with what you're good at. What if you don't really have a passion, any special dreams, or anything you're particularly good at?

When you think of the word passion, you think of a strong feeling. When someone has a strong passion for something, they spend an abundant amount of time and thought on it. It should be abundantly obvious to a person what their passion is. I'm hesitant in admitting I have any real passion though, because nothing really sticks out. Everyone's passion levels are different, so it's safe to say that even a person with a 1/10 on the passion-o-meter, it's still a passion. I suppose the one interest that stands out from the rest would be considered the person's passion, the one thing that gives that the person the most pleasure.

This world is run by passionate people. I'd say the more passionate you are with the right amount of intelligence, the much more likely you are to succeed, at least financially. If you happen to share the same passion with someone who is either more passionate or intelligent than you are, the less likely you are to succeed. There's even a chance you wouldn't be able to make a living off your passion.

This is where compromise comes in. I remember in the film Adrift In Manhattan, a intelligent man worked a mediocre job as a mail sorter to pursue his passion of painting. This something I definitely admire. I suppose the reason for my stagnancy, is my unwillingness to compromise. Perhaps also, finding a job in which that compromise would be as small as possible.

One last note on passion: If someone is flirting with you and you aren't particularly fond of them, tell them that you have absolutely no passion. I guarantee that'll do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/