2/14/2009

February 14th

Two and a half beers in, floating on the last hour of the day, I'm an emotional mess and I have no idea why. I don't really celebrate or even follow holidays, but naturally all the fuss leading up to today coaxed me into feeling this way. Falling asleep the previous night, I imagined my perfect day. Despite how cliche it might have been, it still felt right, and I fell asleep while clinging to the most comfortable image.

I accomplished most of what I wanted to today, but not without lasting afterthoughts. I visited my great grandmother of 86 years. I was hit with an emotional spark a few nights ago, which gave way to a feeling I hadn't experienced in a while. A split-second change of thought, and I suddenly felt the need to become closer to everyone I knew. The first face that popped into my head was that of my great grandmother's. I imagined giving her a hug and asking if she'd like to play scrabble sometime. So that's what I did today. I ended up visiting for upwards of an hour. It was nice, and I could tell she appreciated the visit. I couldn't help but feel for her though as she described her day-to-day difficulties of growing older. She wasn't crying, but I could see from her expression that she was either on the verge, or had been earlier. This is what was imprinted on me.

Believe it or not though, I couldn't think of a better way of spending my valentines day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/