2/18/2009

Fading Attraction

Yet another interesting conversation with my psychology-major friend leaves me feeling somewhat conflicted. We were talking about past relationships and whether or not people kept in touch after a break-up. I ask her if she talks to her ex-boyfriends at all, and she says no for the most part. Being very naive on the subject, I couldn't wrap my head around why. She then tells me about a psychology study that suggests that after about three years, a certain sort of attractiveness for another fades. From what she tells me, this has been linked to why most marriages fail after an average of three years. So according to this study, even if you date someone for a few years, break up, wait three years for the feelings to go away, you are able to forget about this person altogether. Perhaps this is the reason they say, 'time heals all wounds'. Just wait three years, and just like that you rid yourself of the pain and longing for another. But is it that simple? I suppose its just the way she told me, but from her tone it sounded like an absolute. And if you've read any of my earlier blogs, you'll notice that absolutes and I don't get along very well.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but highly situational. People change, both physically and mentally. So I suppose it's not hard to believe how attractiveness would also change. But what really gets me is people's ability to cast away experiences and memories so easily. My cynical view leads me to believe that all people really care about is the here and now. The past is the past, who can hold my attention today? Then again I have a pretty limited view and understanding of my peers. Maybe people do silently cry in the rain.

2 comments:

  1. I'm skeptical of this study. And maybe it's because attractiveness is such an abstract term.

    I think it's very possible to remain attracted to someone your entire life, even if you're with someone else. But I also think you could completely clear someone you once cared about from your memory banks in three years.

    Maybe this study is dealing in averages. Or medians. Either way, seems as if three years is a little low for people who were ever really in love.

    Nice blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe the study deals with averages. I think that in order for any study to be completely objective, averages are paramount.

    Unless the attractiveness has to do with some form of lust, which is generally short-lived, I still have a hard time believing you can completely erase someone from your memory whom you've cared for in the past. Of course I think I read something in the news recently that they've come up with a new drug that somehow erases painful memories from your brain. Seems like something you'd witness from the movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

    Mulling it over some more and relating to some ideas I've been thinking about recently, I guess I can see how it would be possible for the importance of a person to another to reduce over time, due to the psychological changes one might go through. I suppose I have a hard time imagining such a situation because it's never actually happened to me.

    Thanks for the comment. Being such an avid blogger yourself, I take your compliment with great appreciation.

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/