2/10/2009

The Illusion of Free Will

While struggling to fall asleep the other night, I found myself pondering the idea of free will. Like all moments, day or night, whenever I get a free moment to let my mind wander, I always begin by asking myself, "what do you believe?". This happens quite a few times during the day. I'm not sure why it's so important, but I'm constantly in a state of questioning myself. I'm at a point in my own personal philosophy in which I will refrain from calling anything a fact. I'm a human. I'm faulted. How could I possibly know anything for sure? By always using the verbs to think or believe, I'm implying a theory, to the best of my knowledge.

So I'm staring up at my bland white ceiling wondering why the hell I can't put myself to sleep, and then I start wandering, keeping myself awake for another couple of hours. I then ask myself what I believe. Reverting back to a conclusion I came to several years ago, I reiterate to myself that we're just a bunch of complex particles. Reading a biography on Einstein, I remember that he said we were all nothing but interacting blobs of energy. Energy, atoms, molecules, matter, we're just a bunch of stuff that by chance interacted and coalesced. After billions upon billions of years of chemical reactions and evolution, here we are.

Now when I say, by chance, I don't mean out of thin air. As a logical sort of individual, I have a strong affinity towards the idea of cause and effect. This leads me to a term I have casually researched: Determinism. This philosophy states that everything that happens is determined by prior events. It contains both the ideas of Materialism(everything contained the universe is nothing but a bunch of material), and Causality(cause and effect).

This then brings me to many aspects of Existentialism. Over the years, I've become a pretty big fan of the ideas postulated within this philosophy. Putting it in a nutshell, one of the most attractive ideas is that we are totally free and individually responsible for our own happiness. Thinking about the idea of being free while believing in deterministic variables naturally leads to some contradictions.

According to determinism, everything including thoughts and actions are determined by prior events, or prior configurations of the molecules in the brain. With this in mind, freedom or free will seem to be nothing more than an illusion. While I think and make decisions of my own accord, it is nothing more than the effect of the firing neurons in my brain. To me, claiming that we do have absolute free will is the same as saying that we have a soul that acts independent of the laws of nature.

I suppose it also depends on the semantics.
- Mirriam Webster: "freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention"
- Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: "“Free Will” is a philosophical term of art for a particular sort of capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among various alternatives."

With the first definition, I would argue against the idea of free will because it's required that prior causes be absent. With the latter though it would seem that determinism and free will could coexist. The choice of the alternatives though, is deterministic.

Putting more thought into the subject, things start getting a bit fuzzy. Thinking back to existentialism, every person is responsible for their own happiness. Determinism denotes that even happiness is deterministic. This is where it gets fuzzy, at least for me. While happiness may be deterministic, the issue of whether we end up happy or sad is not fated. There is a lot that goes into human emotion, and I won't even attempt to explain it here and now.

If I write any more, I'm going to start confusing myself again so I'll stop here.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. It seems to me that your thoughts on Free Will are reasonable. I am still very much in the midst of trying to piece the whole concept together. And like you, I'm doing it mostly on my own which doesn't really make for quick learning. I need to re-read Dennett's, Freedom Evolves to develop a more solid understanding of his claim that Free Will can exist in a Deterministic world. Somehow I think the whole concept starts to get wrapped up in semantic Twister games.

    I think that until neurological sciences can get a better handle on what 'consciousness' is all about from a physical/chemical/electrical standpoint, philosophers will continue to thrash about with ideas of 'self', 'consciousness' and 'Free Will'. Once science can lay claim to these ideas, philosophers will have to let them go and find a new realm for their mental meanderings.

    You might want to check out the book called The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore. Thought provoking stuff.

    I enjoyed reading some of your blog posts today. I'll be back, for sure!

    I see you're a fan of Haruki Murakami. I got Sputnik Sweetheart today at the library. I really liked Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Hard Boiled Wonderland & the End of the World. I hope Sputnik Sweetheart lives up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a lecture on YouTube by Dennett you might be interested in.

    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSgVgrC-6Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm not sure I'm convinced by Dennett's arguments either. That video basically summarized the book "Freedom Evolves". And honestly, some of his logic I don't follow very easily. I wish he talked more about hiking and less about chess! ;-)

    I just don't think the mind-body problem or consciousness will be cracked by introspection and verbal gymnastics. Philosophy can ask important and intriguing questions but I do think it will take science to come up with something close to an "answer". Maybe philosophers are even afraid of that very thing happening. What will their next question be if they lose the consciousness question?

    I thought that Sputnik Sweetheart used themes that were a little too similar to those in The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I can't decide if I liked Wind Up Bird or Hard Boiled Wonderland better. I think I'd like to read both of them again. I know some people feel his writing style is kind of removed, lacks something more personal. Cold maybe? I understand that viewpoint, but I don't agree at all.

    ReplyDelete

Moving

 Trying out a different platform: https://museparade.wordpress.com/